TRZ Ad

Raiders HC Klunt Kubiak Drops Important Update On Starting QB Battle After Fernando Mendoza’s Preseason Struggles

This article was originally published on Total Pro Sports.

Fernando Mendoza during a game.
Fernando Mendoza. Credit: IMAGN IMAGES via Reuters Connect

Fernando Mendoza faced a tough preseason test. The No. 1 overall pick struggled against the Houston Texans. He finished 8-of-15 with one interception. The pick returned for a touchdown.

The Las Vegas Raiders still won the game 22-20. Veteran Kirk Cousins did not play. Instead, Aidan O’Connell replaced the rookie. Coach Klint Kubiak refused to name a starter afterward. He wants the competition to stay open.

“We’ve got another week of playing. I don’t want anyone to be comfortable in their job,” Kubiak said. “It should always be that way for all positions. So, let’s keep going forward.”

Fernando Mendoza Faces Early NFL Challenges

Fernando Mendoza.
Fernando Mendoza. Credit: Candice Ward-Imagn Images

Mendoza entered the league with high expectations. The 2026 top draft pick is learning a new system. His first major preseason action brought mixed results. Turnovers remain a clear concern right now.

Cousins has worked with the first-team offense. Kubiak previously called the job Cousins’ to lose. That stance still appears firm after Thursday’s game. Mendoza must improve to close the gap.

Fans have kept tabs on Mendoza’s development. Some made wild allegations about the rookie, calling him fake over his public interviews. Others focused on his first NFL moment. The early returns sparked debate.

Fernando Mendoza Still Battling for the Job

Fernando Mendoza warming up.
Fernando Mendoza. Credit: IMAGN IMAGES via Reuters Connect

Kubiak keeps both quarterbacks competing. He avoids locking in a starter too soon. The approach applies across the entire roster. Another week of practice and games remains.

Mendoza showed flashes but also clear mistakes. The interception returned for a score hurt momentum. Cousins’ absence from the game raised more questions. The rookie shared his thoughts on the situation, per ESPN.

“Coach Kubiak outlined for the team what the plan was going to be with the starters, essentially for Weeks 1, 2 and 3 of the preseason, [and] to keep it internally,” Mendoza said. “That was something I knew going into the game was going to be a great experience as a first start in the NFL preseason, which is always the next step.”

The Raiders open the regular season against Miami. That contest will reveal the final decision. Mendoza still has time to climb the depth chart. Consistency will decide his role going forward.

Kubiak’s comments leave the door open for now. The rookie must respond with better execution. Las Vegas needs steady play at the position. The competition continues into the final preseason stretch.

Teams