TRZ Ad

NFL Catchup: Rams Stars Sidelined, Cowboys Eye DB Depth, More Injury Updates

Disclaimer: This article was originally published on FOX Sports Digital. All articles, images, and related media on this website are sourced directly from their respective publishers and credited accordingly. TheRedZone.org does not claim ownership of any third-party content and provides it solely for informational and news aggregation purposes. All rights to original materials remain with their respective copyright holders.

As NFL teams transition to Week 2 of preseason, training camp activities continue to roll on — and that means we’ve got plenty of injury updates. New York Giants wide receiver Malik Nabers advanced to live drills in his recovery from a knee injury, while Los Angeles Rams defensive end Myles Garrett remained off the practice field. Meanwhile, the New Orleans Saints are expected to be without rookie wide receiver Jordyn Tyson to start the season. The Cowboys might not be done adding to the defense after the addition of Von Miller. They’re reportedly exploring the cornerback market and could be looking to reunite a familiar face with defensive coordinator Christian Parker. Here’s what you should know about what happened in the NFL on Monday. Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay provided injury updates on defensive end Myles Garrett and wide receiver Puka Nacua, stating both players could remain sidelined from practice for the remainder of the week. Nacua is dealing with soreness in his psoas muscle after exiting joint practice against the Dallas Cowboys last week. Garrett sat out practice due to knee swelling and worked out on a side field with training staff. With Los Angeles only scheduled to practice on Tuesday and Thursday for the rest of the week, McVay indicated both players likely will not return to practice until next week. McVay noted that while the issues are minor, the Rams are managing both veterans carefully. “Anytime you’re talking about a soft tissue, especially with a skill player or a knee with a guy that does some of the things that Myles is doing, we’re going to err on the side of caution, while not minimizing how important it is to get those guys out there,” McVay told reporters. McVay emphasized that the team is prioritizing complete health over a quick return to practice. “We want to make sure that it’s a return to performance, not just return to play,” McVay said. Jordyn Tyson’s highly anticipated NFL debut will be put on hold to start the regular season. The New Orleans Saints’ 2026 first-round pick is expected to miss roughly two months after injuring his hamstring in practice last week, NFL Network reported on Monday afternoon. Tyson was selected No. 8 overall by the Saints in the 2026 NFL Draft and was expected to play a major role alongside Chris Olave in the passing attack. However, a history of recurring hamstring issues from college has followed him into the pros, sidelining him once again. Saints head coach Kellen Moore clarified that this new hamstring injury is separate from the issue Tyson dealt with in the spring. After he missed 17 games in college between a knee reconstruction, a collarbone fracture and hamstring strains, his durability remains a major question mark. With Tyson now sidelined for the start of the season, the Saints must decide whether to place him on short-term injured reserve. If designated for return, he would be eligible to come off injured reserve after missing the team’s first four games. Tyson reportedly looked great throughout the spring in training camp and was going to see high volume in Moore’s offense. With him now sidelined, the team will head into the season with Olave, Devaughn Vele and rookies Bryce Lance and Barion Brown. Fresh off agreeing to terms with veteran pass rusher Von Miller, the Dallas Cowboys may not be done making moves. The Cowboys are exploring cornerback options and could target free agent Adoree’ Jackson, according to ESPN. Jackson spent last season with the Philadelphia Eagles and could reunite with newly hired Cowboys defensive coordinator Christian Parker. The two overlapped in Philadelphia, where Parker served as the defensive backs coach under defensive coordinator Vic Fangio. The Cowboys’ defense is undergoing a complete revamp under Parker, but the secondary remains one of the team’s biggest concerns. The cornerback room is led by DaRon Bland and Cobie Durant, with the team also leaning on second-year corner Shavon Revel Jr. to step up. Set to turn 31 this season, Jackson is coming off a solid year with the Eagles. He recorded 55 tackles, 40 of them being solo, plus an interception and 11 pass deflections, proving he can still thrive both inside and outside in a variety of defensive schemes. In addition to showing interest in Jackson, details on Miller’s contract have emerged. Miller signed a one-year deal worth $5.5 million that can reach up to $7.5 million with incentives, according to The Athletic. Miller is heading into his age-37 season and has remained productive late into his career. He played last season in the NFC East at a high level with the Washington Commanders, posting 26 total tackles, 16 solo tackles, and nine sacks in 17 games. The Cowboys likely added Miller as a rotational depth piece, as their defensive line is surrounded by talented pass rushers. Miller will be playing alongside Rashan Gary, Donovan Ezeiruaku, James Houston and 2026 first-round pick out of UCF in Malachi Lawrence. The injury update surrounding Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receivers Emeka Egbuka and Jalen McMillan isn’t as promising as fans had hoped. Egbuka’s status for Week 1 is up in the air after missing nearly a full week of practice with a toe sprain. Head coach Todd Bowles offered little clarity, vaguely labeling Egbuka as “day to day, week to week,” according to our Greg Auman. When asked about Egbuka’s status for Week 1, Bowles admitted he wasn’t sure “at this time.” McMillan has missed two weeks of practice while nursing a knee injury, and there’s no timetable for his return to the field. Bowles described the issue to reporters as a “banged-up knee,” adding that the receiver remains “day-to-day, week-to-week” as well. If Egbuka and McMillan aren’t on the field for the season opener against the Cincinnati Bengals, the team will be relying heavily on veteran Chris Godwin. The offense will also look to incorporate young pass-catchers in second-year receiver Tez Johnson and rookie Ted Hurst. Reinforcements are on the way for the Philadelphia Eagles’ offense as wide receiver DeVonta Smith is finally back on the practice field, per NBC Sports Philadelphia. He returned in a limited capacity for Monday’s practice after missing roughly two weeks with a hamstring injury. With A.J. Brown out of the picture, the spotlight fully belongs to Smith. Entering the year as the unquestioned top target, he now leads a revamped receiving group featuring new additions that include Dontayvion Wicks, Marquise Brown, and 2026 first-round selection Makai Lemon. Smith is coming off a productive 2025 season with the Eagles, hauling in 77 receptions for 1,008 yards and four touchdowns while averaging 13.1 yards per reception. A potential uptick in target volume positions Smith nicely for a career year ahead. New York Giants wide receiver Malik Nabers took a step forward in his rehabilitation, participating in full-speed 11-on-11 drills for the first time since tearing his knee. Nabers wore a red non-contact jersey typically reserved for quarterbacks during 11-on-11 work and caught three passes during 7-on-7 drills. Speaking to reporters after practice, Nabers emphasized a measured approach to his return. “I mean the most important thing right now is my health,” Nabers said. “So you know, I’m taking each step accordingly, or just you know making sure my body feels good with you know taking the next step week by week or day by day or whatever they want to do. So just letting them know how my body feels, just so I can take it more.” The Chicago Bears are reportedly adding depth to their defensive line by signing edge rusher Marcus Davenport, according to CBS Sports. Davenport visited with the club on Sunday before finalizing the deal. The move keeps the 29-year-old in the NFC North after he spent the previous two seasons with the Detroit Lions and played for the Minnesota Vikings in 2023. Davenport appeared in eight games with seven starts in 2025, recording one sack and three quarterback hits while dealing with a chest injury. He missed the majority of the 2024 season after suffering a triceps injury. Selected 14th overall by the New Orleans Saints in the 2018 draft, Davenport spent his first five seasons in New Orleans and has recorded 25.0 career sacks, 28 tackles for loss, and 71 quarterback hits.

Teams